Monday, 28 September 2009

Literary Meme

In case you have been wondering, I have been ill. Hence the lack of posts. I do have an interesting one half written which you will get at some point but for now, in the interest of laziness, have this.


What author do you own the most books by?
Torey Hayden - She's what started my interest in psychology and how children's minds work.

What book do you own the most copies of?
The Bible - seriously, I own 5 or 6 versions. I think I also have 2 copies of 'And Then There Were Nine'.

Did it bother you that those questions ended with prepositions?
Ended in what now?

Which fictional character are you secretly in love with?
Ooh, Laurie from Little Women if I have to have one.

Which books have you read the most times in your life?
Terry Pratchett's Mort has been devoured many times, it is my comfort book.

What was your favourite book when you were ten years old?
10? Probably The Railway Children.

What is the worst book you’ve read in the past year?
The Amber Spyglass, I'm sure I'll finish it eventually but it just bored me.

What is the best book you’ve read in the past year?
Just finished reading Knife by R J Anderson which I loved.

What book would you most like to see made into a movie?
Knife would be cool, but for the most part, all great books have been made into films.

Which book would you least like to see made into a movie?
To be honest, if it's a big seller, it's likely to end up a movie at some point. Shame really as it removes the need to read books.

What is the most low-brow book you’ve read as an adult?
I remember reading something called 'Does My Bum Look Big in This.' that was pretty low.

What is the most difficult book you’ve ever read?
Difficult because I failed to finish? The Amber Spyglass. Difficult because I didn't understand it? Cats Eye.

What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you’ve seen?
Only seen 3, The Merchant of Venice (*loves*), Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet.

Do you prefer the French or the Russians?
Umm... No idea.

Shakespeare, Milton or Chaucer?
I've only read Shakespeare.

What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?
The fact is, despite getting older, my reading age didn't mature so I still read and enjoy kids books and YA books and tend not to touch adult books.

What is your favourite novel?
The one I'm writing. Not sure to be honest.

Poet?
I quite like Sylvia Plath, not that I read much poetry.

Work of non-fiction?
The Gospel According to Disney

What is the most influential novel you’ve read?
I tend to be influenced in some way by most of what I read. Little Women had a big impact on me though, as did The Outsiders.

Who is the most overrated writer alive today?
Do I have to pick just one? J.K. Rowling is up there, along with Dan Brown and Stephanie Myer. Not saying they can't write well, they just get hyped up too much in my opinion.

Which less widely read novel would you recommend?
The Ambassador by Edwina Currie

What are you reading right now?
For pleasure: Pride and Prejudice. For university: A World Of a Difference

3 comments:

  1. Pride and Prejudice is a lovely book! The Ambassador? Isn't that also a classic? I've been running away from classics lately... I should get back into them. And I totally agree with your picks for overrated writers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a book called The Ambassadors by Henry James which is considered a classic but I've yet to meet anyone other than my mum who has read Edwina Currie's The Ambassador.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay. Must read that now. :D

    ReplyDelete