Tuesday, 6 July 2010

YA romance, libraries, books and more on changes

So my new project is a YA romance. Those of you that know me will know I have a dislike for YA romance, mainly because I think it's full of clich├ęs, 2D characters and predictable plots. So I asked the people of at AW for some book suggestions of must read YA Romance books. I got quite a good response so armed with my list I set of for the library on Friday.

Now my local library was refurbished earlier this year so it's youth section has cool chairs and new shelving and looks quite good and inviting now. They also moved it to the more windowed area away from the cafe which helps. Now, there's a kind of obvious divide between the non-fiction and the fiction section down there and the whole thing is kinda centred on the children reading corner and the books seem to go from baby books in next to the readers area moving further away as the reading age increases. So I had a rough idea of where to look. The problem is, when they re-did the library they decided to put up cool little signs on top to the shelving units. These signs do not say helpful things like 'Fantasy', 'Sci-fi', and 'Romance'. Oh no, that would be too easy. They say 'Discover', 'Explore', 'Imagine' and 'Inspire'. Now which one does YA romance fall under?

Eventually I pulled out a total of 8 books from various shelves and brought them home to read. I got:

Numbers by Rachel Ward
Bad Faith by Gillian Philip
Just in Case by Meg Rosoff
Nobody's Girl by Sarra Manning
Before I Die by Jenny Downham
Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Never Bite a Boy on the First Date by Tamara Summers

So far I've read Numbers and Bad Faith and I loved both of them. Okay, maybe not strictly romance books but they both featured relationships that were central to the plot. I'll review them both tomorrow or Thursday so stay tuned for that.

As for the special changes I promised I'd explain more about... well, I really want to wait until Friday to officially announce it. I will say it has to do with my new project and it will link to this blog and it should give you another way to interact with me as I work on the project.

3 comments:

  1. Are you sure you have a YA Romance, and not just a YA with romance in the plot? I would consider some of those books the latter

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I have no idea. It looks romancy to me but right now it's just character sheets and plot points so maybe it'll change as it's written.
    And I know some of those books are not strictly romance but it was the best I could get. We are talking about a library that has only 1 copy of Twilight but 3 copies of Terminal Chic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sage, I wouldn't actually consider the majority of those books romance. In fact, Hunger Games is definitely NOT romance. At all. Though it's an extremely awesome book. I warn you, if you're anything like me the next two books you'll want to buy are Catching Fire and Mockingjay, the next two books in the trilogy. And Mockingjay isn't out for another two months.

    Before I Die isn't really romance either, though it is a beautiful book. The only one on that list that I've heard of and would recognize as romance is Twenty Boy Summer.

    ReplyDelete