Monday, 30 August 2010

How I live Today

This is coming up rather later than normal but at least it's up on the right day. I started reading Meg Rosoff's 'How I Live Now' last Tuesday and finished it early Wednesday, I have started another book but I haven't finished it yet so I can only give you one review this week. I've also been kind of ill and am sleeping lots so you'll probably only get one review next week as well.

How I live Now by Meg Rosoff.
I picked this up this month having previously read Just In Case by the same author. I have to say both books are very different, both are good, they're just different from each other. Unlike Justin who I found rather un-likeable Daisy, the female protagonist of How I Live Now is most definitely like-able. The story follows Daisy as she is sent from America to live with her English cousins just before a war breaks out. Once Britain finds it'self under the rule of The Enemy Daisy and her four cousins find themselves split up and fighting to survive.
This is an exciting tale that I read in two sittings because I just didn't want to put it down, I only did the first time because I had to sleep. Daisy has to grow up quickly and fight to keep herself and her young cousin alive as the search for the other two cousins. It's a tale of courage and strength and love. You see, the twist in the tale here is that Daisy is in love with one of her cousins and its this love that gives her the strength to keep going, it's this love that keeps her alive.
When put like that it's an odd sounding book but I guarantee you'll enjoy it if you give it a try.

1 comment:

  1. I really loved this book, although i admit when I first started reading it I was confused as all get out. Meg Rosoff has a very different style. I need to read more by her.

    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete