Monday, 23 August 2010

Lets review some books.

Cause it's a Monday and that's book review day. I read two very different books this week, I actually finished them on Thursday but haven't read anything since. I was starting to see printed type emblazoned on my eyelids so thought I should stop for a bit.

Immortal by Gillian Shields

I think this is supposed to be a Gothic, paranormal romance. It's got a secret society, some witches, a crazy wizard (warlock? What are we calling male witches these days?), a ghost girl, a guy who's a bit less alive than you think, a guy who's a bit less dead than you think, a scary boarding school some midnight romantic meetings by the lake.
Evie is sent to Wyldcliffe Abbey School when her Grandmother becomes ill. There she struggles to fit into the strict regime and make friends. She also meets Sebastian who is full of mystery and whom she's not really allowed to meet, hence the midnight fun by the lake.
It's well written enough to keep me turning pages and manages to carry on a sense of mystery and suspense despite it's sometimes obvious plot lines (mainly about the secret society and Sebastian's true reason for being near the school). I really enjoyed this one, I got swept away in the Gothic mystery of the location with it's wild moors and impressive manor house. It's got lots of interesting characters with may more going on in their lives than yo would first think. It's the first book in a set and I'll be keeping my eye out for the next one.


Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Clay Jensen arrives home to find a parcel of 7 tapes waiting on them. On them Hannah Baker, an old school friend and secret crush, explains the reasons why she recently committed suicide. The things that Clay hears change his views on his classmates, on Hannah and on his own life.
This book hurt to read. It's so well written I almost had to stop because I didn't want to hear any more about all the things that had happened to Hannah, and I didn't want to watch how badly Clay was coping with hearing it. Which is really the point. At the back is an author interview and in there Jay Asher mentions that he hopes it will make people more aware of how they treat others. You never really know the full story of a person's life, even if you think you do, and you never know how much damage you could be doing, even if you're trying to help.
I don't think I would say I enjoyed this book, I don't think it's a book to be enjoyed in the 'that was a good story' sense. But I do think everyone should read this book and, more importantly, let it change them.


So there you have it for this week's reviews, I have a special treat for you on Wednesday and possibly something different for Friday.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard a lot of good things about 13 reasons why and I think I'll have to check it out now. thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete