Wednesday, 4 August 2010

Planning, part 2

The video for this post can be found here.

So yes, trying out Wednesday videos, though hopefully not taking 5 hours to film, edit and upload like today.

Today we're yet again looking at planning, this time how I plan. I plan in loads of different ways depending on what it is I'm doing and what ideas I have about it.
THaN was planned around scenes, ideas for parts of the story that I had in my head, so I worked out what those scenes were and then what characters to fit it and built around the scenes.
The Missing Number was planned around a joke I heard and expanded out to fit a theme and planned around fitting the story to the joke.
The Shadows was planned from a dream. Like THaN it was a scene and everything was planned around that scene.

The List is different again. The List started because 4 girls walked into my head as fully formed characters and started telling me about this list they had made. Soon after a bunch of boys joined in and once I heard Derek and Cynthia going on about their storylines I knew I had to write about them. So most of my planning work is going into building up the characters, this is going to be a very character driven story rather than a plot point driven story. It's not something I've done before but that's cool, I like a challenge.

I can't really say much more at the moment because I haven't done much more than that. You'll just have to stay tuned to find out if this planning works or if I throw the whole thing in a trunk and ignore it.

1 comment:

  1. Planning a character driven story... not that in itself is a challenge I'd be scared to tackle.

    ReplyDelete