Wednesday, 29 December 2010

Through the dead days.

These days between Christmas and New Year always feel a bit dead to me, maybe it's the fact the holiday spirit from Christmas has gone and I'm just counting down till New Year is over and things start back up again. So I figured now is a good time to look back over the year and see what's happened.

Basically, I trunked one idea and started work on another.
I took a break from writing and came back to it with a fresh idea that I put a lot of work into. I did quite a bit of planning and then wrote most of the first draft during NaNoWriMo which was a lot of fun this year. I also started posting to this blog more regularly and brought in a video blog.
Oh, and I got married.

It doesn't seem like much, does it? I'm hoping next year will be better writing wise not that I'm more into the swing of it and am so close to the editing stage. Plus I'm reading a lot more now so that should hopefully help push me to improve as well. I'll post at the start of January about my writerly plans for the year.

Speaking of reading, I was given 4 books for Christmas this year then blew most of my Christmas money on another 16 from Amazon. Would you like to see the list? Yes? Okay then.

For Christmas my awesome husband bought me Zombies vs Unicorns which is a collection of short stories on the subject of each and has some awesome writing in it from some amazing YA writers. My brother took a different book and bought me two Lolcats books (I Can Haz Cheeseburger and How to Take Over Teh Wurld) as well as the Lolcats Bible, while I'm amused by them, I think this is an odd progression from the Manga Shakespeare of last year.

I then sat a few days ago and went through my wish list (150+ books) and selected a few to buy with Christmas money, so arriving over the next few weeks I have:

Matched by Allie Condie
Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
The Princess Bride by William Goldman
13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Of Mice and Men by John Stienbeck
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Bridge To Terabithia by Kathrine Paterson
The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

As you can possibly tell, I'm not just trying to get the latest and greatest books, I'm trying to build up my library as well. So if I fail at everything else you can at the very least expect book reviews from me for a while in the new year as I work my way through my pile. I'm going to be aiming at a book a week for next year so my list above should keep me going for a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment