Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Thoughts on NaNo this year.

So NaNoWriMo is fast approaching and plot bunnies are gathering around my feet (Quite literally actually as I'm crocheting a load for my region). But that leaves one big question, which bunny to follow? Which rabbit hole to fall down this year?

The sensible part of my brain says to split the 50k between The List and a bunch of short stories. A less sensible part says to try to write 30 short stories in 30 days. An even less sensible part says to take the shiny new idea that just arrived and run with it. 

The first option does make more sense. Yes, it might make counting up the words a bit harder and it won't be NaNo in the strictest sense, but shouldn't I finish at least the rough of The List before I start on anything else? Then again, what if I find jumping back and forth too difficult and give up completely? I could try to finish The List and then write short stories I suppose.

The second option is my favourite. Technically I could still write scenes from The List and count them but I could also experiment with my shiny new idea and a few other things lurking around in my head. It'll be a challenge but it'll be one that starts fresh each new day so I might be more likely to finish it.

The third option is just plain stupid. I haven't done enough any research, I have no characters, it's all a vague idea based on the title of some Lifetime Movie. It could all go horribly wrong within the first few thousand words.

Oh I don't know. Maybe the second option is the best idea. Maybe I'll wake up on November 1st and do something completely different. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

  1. Oh but the short stories is a great idea! But it seems it would be a challenge to write something fresh everyday. I say go for it! Either way you'll have a blast. I'm nanowrimoing this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's the option I'm going for. Quite looking forward to the challenge of it without the pressure of keeping a storyline going for 50k.

    ReplyDelete